Friday, July 18, 2014

First Time Parents and Oddball Requests

         
        
        As public as we've been with our story, I have realized there are a few changes that will be taking place as we grow closer to the day we bring Baby Krauss home.  I need to give you all more detail as to how this “waiting period” is going to go. Matt and I have decided that if any potential situations arise, he will be the only one notified. This means until we are presented to a potential birth mother and she chooses us (meaning we are matched) I won’t know anything. So if you see me in person and ask for updates, I’m going to give you a clueless look and shrug. We decided to do this because the reality of knowing we are being presented to someone and them not choosing us, possibly many, many times, was too much for this heart to bear. My hero of a husband came up with this solution, and it’s made for a pretty great last month. (Don’t even think about pestering him for information. If he’s not sharing with me, his lips are sealed!)
        The only thing that has taken away the comfort of this situation is when people ask me for updates. Here is an illustration to explain my point: you know you’ve just gotten in a car to take a potentially very long car ride. You’ve accepted this fact, and have made up your mind to try and enjoy the scenery while you drive this undesignated amount of time. After about ten minutes, one of your kids in the back pipes up, “Are we there yet?” You, of course, inform them that you haven’t arrived yet, and this proceeds to happen every 10 minutes or so. At this point, you, the driver, have totally missed all the pretty scenery and have grown frustrated and impatient about your drive.
         This is how I feel when people ask daily for updates. This new arrangement with Matt in charge has made the waiting period much less stressful for me but when I am asked “are you there yet,” it brings to the forefront some of that stress. The reality of the situation is, even when we are chosen by a birth family, we still might not tell everyone. This could be for several different reasons. It could all happen so fast there are no steps in between waiting and having our baby in our arms. It could be that the situation seems unsteady and we’re nervous it won’t work out. Up until this point, our story has been ours to tell. The rest of this process involves our baby’s story, and also their birth parents’ stories. Those are not ours to tell. When our baby arrives, it will be safe to assume the birth family did not feel equipped to raise a child, and that’s why they were placed with us. All other details will remain private.
         We know the reason anyone asks us for an update every time they talk to us is because they care and want to show they are interested in what’s going on with us. My request is that you would express this caring by letting us know you are praying for us. We deeply appreciate all of the prayers that have been lifted up for us so far, and we can’t wait to tell our baby how much they were loved before they even arrived.
          I know in the past I have criticized the seemingly strange requests first time parents have made, and now that I’m almost standing in those shoes, I ask your forgiveness. I’m sure we will have other oddball requests as we venture further down the path, and I ask that you would try to see things through our eyes and understand we’re just doing what we think is best for our unique little family.

Always grateful,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment