Our interview with the agency went well! It mostly consisted
of paper work, but we did learn a little more about what our experience will be
like. One of the craziest things we learned is that we could be matched with a
situation where the baby is already born! This means we could be approved and
waiting, minding our own business, and be called out of the blue with the
opportunity to take our baby home!! AAAHHH! This means we at least need to be prepared
with a car seat by the time we complete our home assessment process. After
leaving the agency last Friday, I was so excited, but also overwhelmed. We
still have a lot to do!
I've been spending a lot of my spare time reading from our
list. I just recently finished the book Dear
Birthmother, and it was the only book on our list that was required without
exception. This book has ended up being one of my favorites. It is full of
letters between birth parents, adoptive parents, and adoptees. I wanted to
share some of the letters I highlighted.
This quote is from a letter a birthmother wrote to the baby’s
adoptive parents:
“I’d like to think God planned this from the beginning. I
believe on September 23rd I not only gave birth to a beautiful baby
boy, I gave birth to the start of a family.”
Another like the last:
“If she decides that she wants to find me, please help her
and don’t feel threatened. I don’t want to interfere with your relationship,
and I won’t do anything or say anything to hinder it. Remember, I love you too!”
Another, where the birthmother is thanking the parents for
giving her pictures of their son and of themselves:
“Since you sent a picture of you both, I now added those
pictures to my album. As I was putting the pictures in the photo book, I
thought to myself, ‘now I have my family all together,’ and that is how I feel.
You are a very special and important part of my life.”
There are so
many more beautiful letters like these, showing that openness in adoption can
be very blessed. We are praying and believing we might have a relationship like
this with our child’s birth family. In the next several weeks, if I fall silent
on this blog, it could be for several different reasons. Most likely is that we
are completely consumed with our home assessment process, and just can’t
squeeze anything else in! As more time passes, it could be because we are
waiting, looking and longing for our baby, and are just trying to live life day
by day. I’m sure there will also come a time that we have to protect our baby’s
privacy by withholding parts of this story. Please pray for us, especially during
the times of silence. We feel every prayer being lifted up on our behalf. It is
an amazing feeling to know we have the support of people far and wide, some I
see on a daily basis, and others I haven’t seen in years. Consider this my love
letter to you.
Love,
Kristin

No comments:
Post a Comment