Thursday, December 29, 2016

How to Make Lemonade




I've been thinking back on this time 3 years ago, and how Matt and I had come to the end of our rope. My body was so tired from trying to get pregnant. I had spent close to two years focused on what my body was not able to do. We had also just lost a close family member to cancer. It was a tough Christmas. In the midst of that season, I felt myself coming to a new place. I realized the only way to move forward was to start focusing on what my body could do.

       If I could tell anyone walking through infertility one thing, it would be this: above what you are currently experiencing, value your body and soul. You've only been given one shot at this life! Even if you don't feel like it, eat healthy foods, get some exercise that you enjoy, take care of your skin and hair, get in a self defense class or other physically challenging activity. Christian yoga and meditation have continued to be a lifeline for me. I love the youtube videos by Morgan Day Cecil. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2InnDVZX2OIEO2WV0uLNIw

        Dare I say it, attempt to regain intimacy with your spouse. This is an area where couples feel so beaten down, so you will really need to work on it. Take care of yourself like you would a best friend.

       You need to grieve what's been lost, that is only healthy and natural. In truth, I'm still a little sad sometimes when I think about what I haven't experienced. Over those months between September and January when we ended fertility treatments and started looking at adoption agencies, I was a mess of emotions. I was so mad/sad/confused that I know I was hard to listen to, but my closest friends and family did. They hung in there with me. Their listening ears helped me grieve the way I needed to. 
    
       God led Matt and I all the way through. He put a fire in our hearts to pursue our child through adoption, and there was no stopping us! I am so happy I processed through infertility the way I did before welcoming Jonah into our home. He needed a mama that could love him the way he deserved. I needed to learn self care so I could care for him with my whole heart.



       I've loved reading other's blogs that have walked the path of infertility. God puts broken people back together, and I feel like I'm part of a strong community because of their openness. Solidarity has been key for me.  I hope this little piece of advice can give someone else a tool to work their way out of the sadness and disappointment. 

The show This Is Us has touched my heart on so many levels. I'll leave you with this quote from their first episode.“There’s no lemon so sour that you can’t make something resembling lemonade.” Let this be true for you like it has been for me.

With you,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment